Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

Last week was just plain lousy.  So, we're going to focus instead on the shining moment at the end of the week when my faith in humanity was restored in spades.

I participated in the 2nd great Potholder Swap on Ravelry.   Each participant crochets five potholders in the same pattern and mails them to Adrian of HelloYarn.  Adrian mixes them up and sends each participant 5 different potholders from various other participants.  It's genius!  And fun!

I crocheted my heart out for two weeks and sent my creations out into the wild to find new homes.  (Before I'd gotten a picture, blarg!)  After forgetting about the whole business, and having the week from total crap, I came home to a package!  A package for me!


And the B side:




Inside were 5 fantastic potholders, each created with love by a perfect stranger for someone they'd never met.  Each sent out into the world to find their fortunes, and ending up at my house.  I truly hope Karma is paying attention.  Fellow Crocheters, I could kiss each and every one of you.  Thanks for reminding me of the good out there in the Universe.

And, as if potholder love from strangers wasn't enough, added to my self-adressed, stamped envelope, was a 10 cent stamp.  Adrian, having discovered that I'd shorted the postage, quietly and generously fixed it.  She mailed almost 90 packages that day, and still took the time to fix mine.

I'm not always this sappy, but today I feel it's more than a little appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment