Monday, May 10, 2010

Best Zucchini Bread EVER

I can be admittedly superlative much of the time.  But this time it's completely justified.

I rarely bake, as it usually ends in disaster.  This afternoon, after spending 45ish minutes in our tornado closet listening to the sirens go off, I needed some food-shaped comfort.  As impulse would have it, I had all the fixin's to satisfy a wicked craving for zucchini bread.  I whipped it up as I do most things, by tossing in whatever I had at hand, and it. is. unbelievable.   I started with Betty Crocker, as she tends to be a solid foundation, and improvised the rest.  It's dark like the night, surprisingly light as a feather, and not too sweet.



Drool-Worthy Zucchini Bread
3 cups shredded zucchini with all the juice
1 cup sugar in the raw
2/3 cup barley malt
2ish teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups (ish) white flour
2/3 to 1 cup ground flax meal
2ish teaspoons baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Move bottom rack to lowest position so that tops of loaf pans will be in the middle of the oven.  Grease the bottoms of two 8x4 inch bread pans.

2. In large bowl, mix wet ingredients throughly.  Stir in dry ingredients making sure the batter remains fairly wet and pours easily.

3. Pour evenly into two loaf pans and bake 50-60 mins.  Cool in wire rack.

4. Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment